Sunday, September 16, 2012

German Potato Salad


I am not sure if it is a change in the weather, the fact that October is just around the corner, or some of those pregnancy hormones  are kicking in and making me crave things, but I have been wanting this for about two weeks now. It was one of my favorites as a child and still is. So tonight Matt is grilling pork chops and I am making German Potato Salad and sauteed cabbage with onions and bacon.


Ingredients
German Potato Salad
  • 6-8 medium red potatoes, scrubbed
  • 3 slices of Thick cut bacon, cooked and diced
  • ½c apple cider vinegar
  • ½c - 1c water
  • 3½ Tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ¼-1/2tsp black pepper
  • 3-4 Tbsp fresh parsley, minced (optional)
Instructions
  1. Place potatoes in a large pot and fill with water until potatoes are completely covered by 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil and cook until mostly tender, about 10 - 15 minutes. I try not to cook them too long because if they are not too soft they are easier to cut. 
  2. Drain and allow to cool before peeling and slicing into ¼” thick slices. I don't bother peeling potatoes.
  3. In a pot, saute onions in some of the bacon drippings. Cook until translucent and add potatoes cook for about 5 minutes.
  4. Here is where I cook mine a little different: measure sugar and stir into water until it is melted. Add to pot along with vinegar and bacon.  Stir it all up well  and let it cook until the potatoes are as tender as you would like it and the "dressing" has cooked down and thickened into a sauce; about 10 minutes. I like doing this instead of making the dressing separate and tossing it into the potatoes, because the potatoes have time to absorb the flavors and the dressing thickens with the potato starch instead of adding flour, starch or other thickeners.
  5. Serve warm. 
Note: The water is listed as 1/2 to 1 cup of water. If while cooking the potatoes look dry add a little water as needed. Also, if you like your dressing sweeter or tangier, adjust with the vinegar and sugar, just add a little of each until you get it the way you like.

It is an easy recipe that I wish I would remember to use more often.
If you try it out let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment