Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Butternut Squash Apple Gratin


This is a new recipe that I am really excited about; it is very simple, very tasty, very quick and I think like many other recipes I come across it may even be adaptable too. After buying a bulk box of Butternut squash I had to start searching for ways to use it. One recipe I came across was a gratin using apples, leeks, and butternut squash. Personally I do not care for sage too much, and we didn't have leeks so I substituted onions and left out the sage and sherry. Here is what I did.

Butternut Squash Apple Gratin
Recipe:
1 small-medium butternut squash
2-3 tart apples 
2 onions
2 tablespoons of butter divided
ground coriander and/or ginger, nutmeg or other spices that you like to taste
salt and pepper to taste
bread or cracker crumbs(ritz would be good)
parmesan, cheddar, or other cheese that you like

Thinly slice the onions into strips and begin to caramelize them in a cast iron pot using a tablespoon of butter.

Thinly slice apples and butternut squash; I only used the neck part of the squash that was solid and saved the lower part where the seeds were for another dish. Layer the butternut squash on the bottom of the dish overlapping to cover the bottom. Sprinkle with the spices you would like to use and salt and pepper to taste. Layer the caramelized onions on top and then add a layer of apples. Add a layer of cheese, I used parmesan this time, but I think cheddar might be my next choice. If you have enough of the ingredients add another layer of each. Cover with foil and cook for about 30 minutes.

Uncover and top with the bread or cracker crumbs, more cheese, and thinly sliced pieces of butter evenly spaced over the top; bake under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and turning golden brown on top.

Serve with sides of your choice, or use it as a side dish. We served ours with a side of sauted kale, and a fresh salad.

And just in case you are wondering, we are a typical meat eating family and there were no leftovers that night, most of the kids ate seconds.

This is a really good dish that I would like to experiment more with in the future. Adding potatoes or other vegetables might be worth trying.

Try it with your family and let me know how it turns out...What would you do differently?



No comments:

Post a Comment