Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Low-Carb Life: Cloud Bread

Cloud Bread has been around for many years. I have always found it interesting, but just never ventured into trying it, it just seemed a bit weird. Being that I have been mostly carb-less for about 6 weeks now there is a part of me that is really wanting to indulge in the "old ways".  I made my first batch and it seems like it came out pretty good.

It is not bread! It does not have the bread texture that I keep hearing claims of, but I think it will be a good vehicle for a sandwich substitute.

The recipe is not difficult, and doesn't take a whole lot of time. the next time I make it I will make several batches at once so that it can be frozen for future meals. There are claims that it works, so I will try with some of these and test the results.


Now to the Recipe in case anyone wants to try it out...

Cloud Bread
6 Eggs
4 ounces of cream cheese
1/2 Teaspoon cream of tarter
a little sugar or sugar substitute(this can be omitted)

Separate the egg whites and yolks into different bowls.
Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until very stiff peeks form.
Mix the yolks and cream cheese and sugar if you use it until the mixture is smooth and incorporated.
fold the yolk mixture into the egg whites stirring gently so that the mixture stays fluffy and doesn't go flat.
Scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Watch carefully at the end of baking so that they don't get too brown.
Take out of the oven and let cool on a wire rack.

They can be put in the refrigerator...I will test the freezer theory and update.

Update: The "breads" hold up well in the refrigerator or freezer, and although not bread I have to admit that it has come in handy when I needed something quick or wanted something a little different from what I have been eating daily. It will not be something that will be an every day meal but will be great for an occasional change to add variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment